Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Can Going Zero Waste Save You Money?



When trying to adopt a zero waste lifestyle, most people think its expensive to do the change. I, on the other hand, had an open mind and searched for ways not to do any major damage on my wallet. Honestly, it will cost you a bit of money with buying some eco-friendly stuff at first but if you compute the cost, you eventually save more money as time passes by. And with some products, you barely would spend a penny on it. Here are some ways on how I spent and saved when going zero waste:
  • Investing and Using Reusables
    Buying quality reusable products were my first step in going zero waste. Finding alternatives to single use items were a bit tricky but thank goodness for the internet and I was able to find stores to buy reusables or discover ways to make alternatives (see DIYing section). Buying these reusables cost me a hefty amount at first but as I computed the total (lifetime) cost of a particular item, I would save soooo much more in the long run. My collapsible cup cost me almost Php1000 and I sometimes use an insulated water bottle (gifted) when I used to spend P20 per weekday/ Php5140 per year on 500ml water. I used to spend Php85 per month (Php 3060 per year) for my napkins during period and I only bought my reusable menstrual pads for Php 588. On top of that, I never buy cloth rags for my cleaning supplies since I reuse worn out clothes to wipe surfaces. 
  • DIY stuff
    I used to buy cleaning products at stores and skincare products abroad. But now, I make my own cleaning product/solution from essential oils I bought two years ago. I also make some skincare products such as toners, masks, conditioners which saved me thousands of pesos. 
  • Buy Second Hand
    I steer away from fast fashion brands since they are unsustainable, made of low quality, and trendy. Second hand shops or we call it ukay-ukay here in the Philippines are so much cheaper and are usually made of better quality. Also, I purchase items that are timeless so that I don't have to change my style as fast as the fast-fashion brand styles are changing which prevents me from buying, hoarding and disposing clothes or items quickly. 
  • Reduce food waste by meal planning
    I used to buy a lot of items from the grocery store and I usually find myself throwing so much rotten produce or left-overs that have gotten bad. The problem is this: I thought I'd like to make a new recipe (which has complex or rarely used ingredients), I shop when I'm hungry hence I grab so many food without thinking intuitively, and I don't plan my meals practically. When I lived alone, I would sit down and create a list before going to the store. I'd write down the meals that are quick, healthy and I most likely eat then list its ingredients. AND I eat a meal or grab a snack before grocery shopping. 
  • Start a garden using kitchen scraps
    This started when I was also living alone. Seeing all the fresh produce scraps that I have, I started looking up online how I could replant these and make my tiny garden. In the long run, I no longer need to buy some herbs and ingredients needed when cooking. 
  • Buy in bulk
    There are times when I would visit big cities or zero waste stores and buy bulk products of laundry detergent, plant-based milk, oats, liquid soaps, etc. Because based on my calculation, you could save money than buying these products in smaller packaging. 
  • Less trash
    By composting (or planting) kitchen scraps, buying package-free or in bulk, reusing containers, you minimize the plastics and packaging that you have to throw out in the trash. That means paying less for garbage to be thrown or recycled. 
  • Not shopping often
    Since I have been buying some products that could be reused and making some of my own products, this prevented me from visiting beauty stores or malls and buying unnecessary stuff. In fact, I've never been to Watsons since I started this journey.
  • Cleaner bum and no more toilet paper
    Did you know that your bum is so much cleaner when using a bidet? Since we installed one in our toilet, I haven't bought a toilet paper. 
  • Be smart with energy
    One of the situations that I have thought of is my diffuser. Before, I would use my diffuser every single night to eliminate the odor from our kitchen (since my room is the closest). When I looked for a zero waste infuser and bed room spray, I know this has helped lower our electricity bill. Some people also save energy and resources by switching to LED bulbs and catching the shower water or laundry water to flush the toilet. 
Have you embraced and zero waste lifestyle? What zero waste alternatives saved you money?



Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar